Monday, March 29, 2010

Farmers Market Feast

For someone like me who has worked weekends for FOREVER, having them off means I can do a lot of new things.   One of the things I was most looking forward to was being able to frequent our local farmers markets for fresh, in-season produce, sustainbly farmed meat products and cheeses, beautiful flowers, the list goes on.  This Saturday I walked down to the University District market to pick up some goodies and it felt so good to be there!  I could have strolled up and down the rows for hours just admiring and drooling over everything.  As it was, I picked up ingredients for what I hope proves to be a delicious soup and some adorable dafodils too! 






Being that I'm always budget conscious, I was curious how the prices compared to organic products that you would get at the regular grocery store so I did a little comparison shopping the next day and was excited to see that they really aren't that far off.  For example, Safeway O Organic brand chicken breast is $8.99/lb and we saw prices at the market ranging from $8-11/lb for organic chicken.  I don't know about you but I'd happily pay an extra $1 or so per pound to know exactly how and where my food is coming from!

If you're curious where the closest market to you is, click here to see a map of farmers markets in Washington State.  And guess what all you weekend workers!?!?!  They have mid-week markets.  AWESOME.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment